Saturday, September 17, 2011

H is for Hug

artwork by Shel Silverstein
It's official, my kindergarteners and I made it through our first week together. The first week is always the hardest but I feel as if I've just had the smoothest beginning so far. Perhaps that comes from experience, or maybe I just have a really nice group of kids, but whatever the reason, I'll take it!

I've always said, the first 10 minutes with a new class is the scariest for me. When they are finally all sitting in a circle looking up at me with those little eyes, waiting for me to begin, waiting for some reassurance that this kindergarten thing is really going to be fun!

There were no tears on the first day, at least from the kids. There were however a few teary eyed parents looking for some reassurance, and just for the record, I hug parents who need reassurance too.

The kid tears came on the third day, when those little kids, babies really, realize how long a day it is. Mostly they are just tired from their new experience, but I'm ready for the tears. I'm ready with the tissues, ready with the kind words, and ready with the hugs. I tell them, that even though I'm not their mommy, I am someone's mommy and I'm really good at hugs. The hugs help.

Thursday evening our school held its annual Welcome Back Cook-Out. I was tired, but because I promised my now fifth grader that we'd go, I went. I'm glad I did. One of the best parts about being a kindergarten teacher is you know the kids in the school better than any other teacher. You've known them all from the start, when they were little and unsure. I still get hugs from my former kindergarteners, and I get them often. I make it a point to chat with them when I can because even though they are much bigger and have moved on from my classroom, I still want them to know how important they are to me. Maybe in some small way I'm still important to them too.

My favorite hugs Thursday night came from my newest students. I've known these little people for only 4 days and I've already become hug-worthy. The feeling is definitely mutual!


Hug O' War

I will not play at tug o' war.
I'd rather play at hug o' war,
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles
And rolls on the rug,
Where everyone kisses,
And everyone grins,
And everyone cuddles,
And everyone wins. 

 -Shel Silverstein




1 comment:

RainbowsWithinReach said...

I am so glad to have 'found' you thru Lesson Plan Diva's link-up. I'm in the 'K' section also, but a bit less traditionally K. I'm an author/illustrator/music lady of picture books and often visit schools to work with the younger crew.

My other happy hat is that I am the GeeGee (grandma) to a brand new K-kiddo that I've always called WonderBoy. Imagine my chagrin to learn that he would be taking TWO school buses to get to his building!!!

Yet off he went that first day to a whole new world, entrusted to a caring person like yourself!!! Never under-estimate the value of that ready hug. We GeeGees and da mommies too are so grateful for your kindness and warmth in the midst of the education.

Happy to meet!!

Debbie from RainbowsWithinReach.blogspot.com